Jerry L. Maynard, II
Jerry L. Maynard, II is best known for his ability to get things done. More notable is his passion for the people of Nashville/Davidson County which is evident in his tireless advocacy efforts to expand Nashville’s tax base while providing opportunities and success for all Nashvillians. Jerry has been a champion for small, women, and minority-owned businesses because of a core belief that small businesses are the economic engine of any thriving city.
After eight years of serving as councilmember-at- large and focused attention in the areas of budget and finance, education, healthcare and economic development, Maynard embarked on a new venture, opening The Maynard Group, with the key focus of developing and creating economic success for all.
During his tenure as a county-wide, elected official in the largest city in the State of Tennessee, Jerry was a key lead and sponsored various legislation and programs that saw great success and was even responsible for changing the landscape of Nashville. This includes:
- Metro Small Business Growth Act, the Diversity and Inclusion Act, and the Metro Workforce Development Program. Each of these provided a foundation for minority small business owners and continue to make an impact on how business is shaped in Music City
- Securing nearly $600 million for the Music City Center – Nashville & 2.1 million sq. ft. convention center – located in the heart of downtown
- “Yes to Sulfur Dell” grassroots campaign, which led to the successful securing $75 million for the construction of the First Tennessee Park – new home of the Nashville Sounds Minor League Baseball Team – in the Capital District
- Legislation that created Metro Employee Healthcare, which led to $20 million in new revenue for General Hospital and saved Metro millions of dollars in healthcare costs for their employees
- Affordable Housing Incentive Act
- Securing $25 million in funding for the National Museum of African American Music (NMAAM)
- Securing nearly half million dollars for Tennessee State University’s John Merritt Classic
- Lead in the development of the 28th Street Connector, which now connects North and West Nashville for the first time in 45 years
- Worked to develop the Jubilee Bridge and secure $850,000 in funding for the Gateway of Heritage, which is now a pleasing entryway into the Fisk/Meharry area in North Nashville
In his role here at The Maynard Group, he uses his keen abilities to solve problems, foster development, forge invaluable partnerships and shape strategies for effective communication on behalf of clients. As an attorney, public servant, pastor, and consultant, Maynard’s hard work, vast experience, success and influence allows him to lead The Maynard Group to continued success for our clients.
To learn more about Jerry Maynard, click here to purchase his book “How to Lead When No One Follows,” that chronicles his beliefs on the importance of local politics.
Nadira Freeman, Chief Operating Officer
Nadira comes to The Maynard Group with over ten years of experience in both the public and private
sectors. Her work in nonprofit management has led to her involvement in organizing several political,
community, and issue-based campaigns on the municipal, state and federal level. She brings strong
organizational leadership and communication skills to her role at The Maynard Group where she
manages a full range of logistical and operational duties including planning, directing and overseeing the company’s day-to-day operations, initiatives, and client relations.
Nadira leads the management team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes and personnel designed to accommodate the growth objectives of the organization. Her specialties include research, content development, grassroots campaign strategy, and event management.
Nadira’s solution-oriented approach to her work and unrelenting aim for excellence in execution makes her a valuable asset to The Maynard Group team.
Jeff McKissack, Vice President of Business and Finance
Jeff is an accomplished and mission-oriented professional who has served nearly 20 years as an executive in the healthcare industry. Over that period of time, he has developed an expertise in facilitating contract negotiations to secure optimized physician and insurance entity relationships, managing physician services with a focus on short and long-term services growth, strategically guided facilities through detailed recertification processes, and developing and implementing high-value customer service initiatives that support patient populations.
Jeff brings to The Maynard Group a knowledge of program implementation and multi-site financial management with an energetic and aggressive approach to establishing and implementing strategic direction to improve competitive positioning in both the private and public sector. His proven ability to successfully analyze an organization’s critical business requirements, identify opportunities to generate improvement in operational and financial performance metrics, and create effective solutions that maximize operational efficiency and revenue is invaluable to the work we do.
Jeff is engaged in the community and has served on various Boards including Tennessee Primary Care Association, Community Health Network, Hands on Nashville and a member of the 2007 Leadership Nashville cohort.
Stephen Lindsey, Director of Political Affairs
Stephen Lindsey is a savvy political insider with over 25 years of experience in Tennessee politics. He has
served within winning campaigns providing political and/or fundraising services from statewide to local
races as well as been part of the Tennessee Democratic Party Coordinated Campaigns.
In 2007, he and Cathy Thomas started the Thomas Lindsey Group. The Thomas Lindsey Group provides political and fundraising consulting for campaigns, as well as non-profit fundraising, lobbying and business development. Stephen’s personable, approachable style and keen ability to motivate makes him an excellent networking resource and his organizational ability and acumen in strategic planning are
formidable tools for any of his clients.